Saturday, May 21, 2011

Normal Basis Questions and Answers - Part 2

User Auditing
Is there a way to find out what was entered in a particular transaction code screen?
No, but you can analyze tables associated with the transaction code and see if there is a username field that traces what this user has done.


Background Job Runs
I need to schedule a background job to run for 3 consecutive days and would like to use DB13. How can I schedule a report to run from DB13 and not SM37?
There is no way to schedule a report to run from DB13 other than pre-configured DBA jobs. Instead, use SM36 and make the jobs event driven.


Technical and Troubleshooting Questions

Transport requests
When I release all of the requests to DEV it is not being displayed in an import queue on the QA system (t-code STMS). When I check the log of transport request overall status is successful, but a message appears saying “continue: other transport group.” Why is this message appearing?
The transport group for QA is misconfigured. Go to STMS, then Overview. Double-click QA and choose communication. Next enter the correct transport group and save.


Memory and Sizing
We have a J2EE + ABAP 6.40 instance running a portal 6.0. It seems 1GB of memory is not enough and J2EE has problems if we assign more. What can be used to balance the load in the servers?
You can create a second server process using config-tool. Also, load balancing is possible through SCS.


Upgrading
After a recent upgrade of kernel 6.20 to 6.40, while doing a transport I received several warning parameters although everything looked okay on SAP t-code STMS, what should I do about the warning parameters.
You can delete these parameters from TPPARAM.


SAPRouter and DMZ
We setup a SAPRouter in DMZ so that all SAP requests can be routed in and out from that machine and the SAP application servers are not necessary to be exposed to the internet user. However, the SAPRouter does not handle the BW Web reporting application requests. We do not have E.P. Are there any tools which can help us to
route WEB reporting requests the way SAPRouter does?
You need a SAP Web dispatcher. It acts like a SAP Router but routes SAP ICM traffic. BW Web reporting is a BSP that sits on the ICM. You can look for sapwebdisp.exe in the kernel directory or do a self-generated profile using command option “bootstrap.”


Internet email gateway
How do you configure the Internet email gateway in SAP Netweaver 04?
Starting with version WAS 6.x, SMTP comes built in to kernel. Go to transaction. SCOT and configure it there.


J2EE and CRM
I am installing a SAP J2EE engine at CRM. When it reaches phase 22 it halts for more than 10 minutes and gives up starting the system. What should I do?
A restart is often the solution. If it is an add-in and you have restarted your ABAP then you may be missing
the profile parameters. If this is okay and a restart does not help look in the work directory and check dev_icontrol. If the J2EE engine software is the problem, applying a patch will solve the problem.


Installing R/3 Enterprise
When we install SAP R/3 enterprise 4.7, there are several error messages in the SAPVIEW.log. What does
this mean?
This means that one of your load jobs did not run successfully.


Program buffer / swap
In my development server when I perform ST02 the program buffer shows a value of 1056 in red under the
SWAP category. Users are getting a shortdump with the PXA buffer error message. What should I do?
Use “my links” in “my signature” and use the keywords: PXA Buffer.


Email from SBWP
When sending an email from transaction SBWP I wish to enter the user’s login name only, not an email address. Also I’d like SAP to look at the user details email address and communications methodvheld in SU01 and send the mail to this external email address. Can this be configured?
Yes. Follow pathway SO16-> Tab Mail Sys group->bottom radio button.


Updating Tables
Are direct updates on SAP tables allowed?
You can call SAP functions directly to updatedata (RFC calls) but it is not recommended to try and manipulate data directly at database level (sql scripts, jdbc)
In general it is a very bad idea to update tables directly in SAP.


Installing DB instance
While doing SAP installation of DB instance on a different box other than CI, the input we have given in SAPInst of DB instance is wrong in system number of CI instance. How can I change this entry after installation?
You must reinstall the CI instance with the right system number.


Backup Strategy
I am working on a backup strategy to disk. I want to perform a copy_save_delete equivalent on various disks. This function does not work for disk saves but ideally I would like to have two copies. Is there another function I can use?
In your init.SAP file log on to another drive/server to store another copy of your archive log.


Lock table overflow
One of my BTC jobs fails when I try to run it, giving me an error message stating “lock table overflow.”
It recommends to modify the enqueue / table size parameter to solve this issue. I do not have this value in my default or instance profile. How do I solve the problem?
Run ABAP RSPARAM program. It will give you the real value of the SAP parameter and where they have been set up. The lock table can hold 10,000 entries, which is more than enough for the average system. It is possible that the program is not written properly and the developers should modify it.


System copy for BW
I am attempting to complete a system copy of BW. When I try to go in to RSA1 afterwards I get the error message, “Entry in inbound table already exists.” What should I do to solve the problem?
Read the homogenous system guide and follow all directions under “subsequent steps” section.
Check transaction codes BDLS and SALE as well.


XI 3.0 Configuration
I am configuring my XI 3.0 Production server (MSCS 2003) on oracle 9.2.0.6 for backups. I have successfully run offline backups on single nodes (both A and B), split nodes (Oracle node B and SAP node A), but it fails when I run Oracle on Node A and SAP on Node B. I have checked the initsid.sap, initsid.ora spfilesid.ora files, the files within the “%Windir%\SAPCluster and the FSCMD location path and they are identical to my development servers. Rebooting the servers has been unsuccessful as well. How do I resolve this issue?
Log in on both nodes as SIDADM and run this command: brbackup –V. Make sure that “%Windir%SAPCluster” is part of your path.


Restarting server
Will restarting the PRD server every week affect server performance?
When you restart the server, the SAP ABAPprogram buffer and other buffers are emptied. As far as performance goes, the reports runtime will be a bit longer during the first run. You can restart the system every week without harm. The only reason against it may be the SLA/users demand.


System copy PRD to TST
I need to do a system copy from PRD to TST. I cannot follow SAP documentation, but must do it manually. When I run “@/tmp/TSTcntrl.sql,” will it change all the PRD to TST in the restored file names? Would the restored files be recognized as a TST system?
You must first open the DB as PRD on your new system. Second, apply redo logs. Next, run your script to change SID. This will change SID but will not change tablespace names if using WAS 6.10 or above.


MIRO updates to RBKP
We are running Win 2003, Oracle 9I, SAP 4.7. We are having performance issues around Tx MIRO which updates table RBKP. Table RBKP has five indexes in SAP, but only three of which exist inOracle. Why is this?
In SAP there are many predefined indexes.You can see these indexes via DB02->checks-> database ->ABAP dictionary ->display. Under optional indexes you see all indexes of which the definition is created in the dictionary, but not created at database level.


Customizing and Master Data
Some transactions in SAP are seen as customizing, for instance OVRF (updating routes). In some systems this is set as master data and can be set open. Where do you do this?
That depends on each transaction. Sometimes it is determined by other configuration and sometimes it is set according to system function, production or test/develop/demo/etc.


Variants for ABAP
I have some housekeeping ABAPs that I have to create variants for. There are cases when I have to specify a time interval for the ABAP in the variant. If I explicitly enter a start and end date they will remain at that current date continuously. Is there any way to dynamically enter dates in the variant?
In transaction SE38 enter the variant name and choose the attributes radio button. Here you can set the field to “selection variable.” Then, under selection variables button, you can define that it is SY -DATE+7.


SM37 and Spool
When I check transaction SM37 and I want to see the spool I get a message that says “no list available.” Why is this?
There are several possible reasons. The spool is sent to a printer and deleted. The spool is too old and the housekeeper deleted it. Also, some test reports simulate a calculation then rollback. It works fine online. When a background job does a rollback then it rolls back the spool as well.


J2EE and Support Packs
I have an ABAP+J2EE instance on XI 3.1. Is it necessary to stop WEB AS and J2EE to apply the support packs for J2EE?
Any J2EE patches are applied while system is up and running but no activities. The only patch applied while system is down are binaries (ABAP kernel).

No comments:

Post a Comment